Style Icons

Growing up was pretty difficult for me. I didn't really have someone close by to look up to which made my fashion sense during these crucial years pretty twisted. Whatever is seen on TV, I tried to copy. Just imagine when Jolina was very popular in mid 90's because of her "colorful personality". And yes, I used to look up to her during my adolescent years that I tried painting my nails blue. And who could ever forget the high platforms and boots worn by the "Spice Girls"? Those shoes! ….Man! You bet I copied those too. When Skechers® first stormed the Philippines, I made sure that my mom would buy me few pairs of those funky & chunky shoes to get the 'spicy' vibe. It was a sure hit with my classmates. Thought I was so damn cool when I sashayed my way to the classroom and around the campus wearing those chunky shoes while in my UNIFORM for crying out loud! Looking back, I just laugh at myself. I was a complete mess. Good thing my age then was a good excuse to commit that crime. Hahah!
It took a while to find my sixth sense, fashion sense that is. Though I still commit mistakes, at least I have found the style that I'm really comfortable wearing. High-end brands are not for me, so as local retailers (unless of course they are of on sale). Fashion does not have to be expensive for someone to look good. It's all about how you carry yourself and how you exude confidence even if you're wearing a potato sack. In short, it's all about style.

When I started this journey of finding my fashion identity, Audrey Hepburn came to me and said, “This is your style. Chic & timeless” and I nodded. Most fashionistas know that Audrey Hepburn is synonymous to the LBD (see Little Black Dress). But did you know that wayfarers, flats and capri pants were also made popular by her? During 1950-1960’s this was popular and now the trend is coming back after many decades and it’s still hot. Her level of sophistication is very refined and that’s what I admire about her.

At my age and job, I cannot be chic all the time so I had to find my rough style. That’s when rocker chick Kate Moss comes in. Famous for her waif look and for her Calvin Klein ads among others, Kate’s sensible style in fashion is very versatile. From MET Gala to Coachella Music Festival, she knows how to steal the scene without compromising her look & personality.

Watching ANTM (see America’s Next Top Model), Tyra always introduced Twiggy as the “The Living Legend”. Her name sounded familiar but I was somewhat clueless as to why she is a legend. After watching few more episodes, I found out that she made MOD “The Look”. Pixie hair, minidresses and long lashes were here trademarks. I don’t have Twiggy’s petite frame, big beautiful eyes or mile-long model legs, but I certainly can rock a minidress (thank you stockings!)

This style icon recently had a “private show” for the 18th Anniversary of Belo Medical Group and is one of the current endorsers of Viva Glam by MAC Cosmetics. If you’re a fan, pretty sure you’ve already heard of these bits. I’m talking about Ms. Dita Von Teese a.k.a. “Queen of Burlesque” as the press dubbed her. Not only famous for elaborate dance routines, Ms. Von Teese is also popular in the fashion department. Her dark locks, porcelain skin, tiny waist, fabulous dresses and luxurious under garments are enviable. She is a perfect picture of a 1950’s pin-up girl. A look that is undoubtedly vintage!Those are my top four style icons. Someone might be added to that list if these runners up would step up to their fashion game. They are…Anne Hathaway, Emily Blunt and Zooey Deschanel.
Images courtesy of the following sites:
Audrey Hepburn from perkydesigns.com and styleandfashion.blogosfere.it
Kate Moss from herfamedgoodlooks.com, movie.moldova.org and pulp.co.nz
Twiggy from island-of-art.com and bbc.co.uk
Dita Von Teese from photobucket.com and leatherleatherleather.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular Posts